Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Focus and writing


"I can't finish my story!"

It's one of the most repeated frustrations I hear from new writers.

My response is, "Do you know where you're going?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you know the ending?"

"Oh."

Look, if I were to hop in my car and drive from Pittsburgh, PA to San Francisco, CA I could end up in a lot of places from Calgary to Kalamazoo. That might not be a bad thing. But, if I'm writing a story, I could get very frustrated.

I've heard new writers tell me how exciting it is to have characters move things along.

Been there.

Done that.

Didn't sell the story.

I am one of those who believes in focus, not psychosis. Sure, I've let characters take over and run with things. I can let my mind wander from sentence to sentence and end up with a story that is totally cinematic and on the surface and not marketable.

I'm writing because I have to, because I have these characters who want out, but I'm also writing to sell.

Therefore, I need to focus. I need to know where I'm going. Because I'm so easily...hey, look there's four cardinals at the birdfeeder...dis...there's a blue jay chasing them away...tracted. I have a busy brain.

Self-hypnosis has really helped me. It helps me find that quiet place where I can get serious and write.

Not everyone needs self-hypnosis to write. But good writers have focus.
PS The photo is one I took when I went to Costa Rica. Travel is good.

1 comment:

Carol Baicker-McKee said...

Oh man, wish I were on that beach. Loving your blog, Kitty -- so much so that I gave you a "You Make My Day" award (read about it on my blog).

Now write another post! I know you have gobs of time and energy!